With the arrival of spring and good weather the plants are awakened and the environment is filled with particles of pollen in suspension. This phenomenon is necessary to get a wide range of fruits and plants, but while this happens in many of us are triggered a series of effects that diminish our well-being. All these events are known as allergy, and we want to stop at it and how we can mitigate its effects.
It is true that allergy is a generic name that is given to an autoimmune reaction by the body against an external agent. In this case it is the pollen that leaves the plants and invades the atmosphere. Not all types of pollen are the same and not all types of allergies are manifested in the same way nor are each year the same.
For this reason there are many types of reactions to the pollen that prevails at this time. Not all types of allergy are the same or manifest in the same way. Just as we do not have allergy to all types of pollen found in the environment. It is therefore highly recommended that before applying any kind of advice and medication by our hand, we go to a specialist to determine the degree of allergy and the type of pollen we have.
Spring allergy can manifest itself in many ways, but it is always necessary to go to a specialist to determine the source and apply treatment
Having said that, it is important that we consider a number of points. First of all we need to be able to determine if what happens to us is an allergy, since in many cases it is often confused with a cold and of course the treatment and the way of dealing with this disorder is not the same.
Symptoms that allergy causes in the body
To know a little better what is the allergy we are going to dwell on the symptoms that it presents in the vast majority of us and that can give us an idea that what happens to us is really allergy:
- Sneezing and itching in the nostrils is an unmistakable symptom of allergy. In the spring people with allergies usually have episodes of sneezing, especially in the first and last hours of the day. Apparently it is due to a small itch that appears in the nostrils.
This feeling in most cases is confused with a common cold. Keep in mind that this itch does not occur during the whole day, but at certain times.
Sneezing, itching of the eyes, obstruction of the respiratory tract … These are some of the symptoms of allergy
- The accumulation of mucus in the nostrils and in many cases congestion are usually other symptoms derived from allergy. As with nose itching, congestion is often mistaken for a cold. In many cases it can get a fever, but it is not the most common. The headache and heaviness in the area of the temples and eyes are also some of the symptoms that we will notice.
- Itching of the eyes is another clear symptom of allergy. Feeling heaviness in the eyes and the feeling of having grit in them is a clear sign that the allergy is making a dent in us. Itching in the area of the tear and accumulation of legas is something that usually happens. Ideally in these cases is not scratching and try to clean the area with saline to prevent the allergy continues to affect us.
- In more advanced cases of allergy, respiratory problems similar to asthma may appear. In this case the airways become clogged and it is difficult for us to breathe properly. In these cases it is better to go to a specialist to verify the type of allergy that we have and the treatment that we must follow.
- On many occasions we can feel the skin sticky, dirty, and can even get bitten and give us a feeling of dirt. This sensation is due to a reaction that develops on the skin. In these cases it is necessary that we avoid scratching and cleaning our body. Especially the hands and face it is necessary that we keep them clean.
These are some of the most common symptoms that are derived from allergy to pollen in spring. It is true that there are many types of allergy and many adverse reactions on the part of the organism. We have described the most common at this time of year.
Hygienic measures to eliminate the presence of pollen
To avoid that these symptoms are present in our day to day we can follow a series of hygienic measures that will help us to improve our exposure to pollen and to avoid as much as possible the allergic crisis. To know them we will review the most important that we can carry out in our day to day.
Maintaining perfect hygiene in our home is essential. We should avoid the presence of pollen as much as possible. For this it is necessary to avoid having the windows open in the house, especially at daytime. Ventilate the house at sunrise will be a good alternative and no more than 10 min.
Clean the house well, clean us when we get off the street, hang clothes inside … Hygienic socks that we must carry out
- Cleaning the house regularly to avoid the accumulation of pollen on the floor and in the tissues of the house is important. Therefore it is advisable to use powerful vacuum cleaners and cleaning the floor with water to eliminate any remaining pollen that may remain in the house.
- The same happens with clothes. It is important that when we get off the street we remove the clothes that we have used during the day and we throw it to wash. This clothing will contain pollen particles that will affect us and may increase the allergy. Changing it for clean clothes is necessary to wear clothes that are not contaminated by pollen.
- When we wash our clothes it is important that we put them on the inside to prevent them from filling with pollen outside. In this way we will get isolated to the maximum of this substance that can end up hurting us.
- When arriving from the street, in addition to changing our clothes we must wash hands and face. If we take a shower and also clean the hair will be even better for us, because we will remove all pollen particles that we can have in the body stored.
Natural remedies to reduce the effects of allergy
Once we have clear some of the hygienic measures that we must carry out in our day to day it is necessary that we take some remedies that will serve us to diminish the effects that the pollen has in our body.
We are going to recommend some totally natural tricks that will be applied in cases in which the symptoms of the allergy are not extreme. The case of suffering from very serious symptoms, the ideal thing is to go to an allergist to determine other suitable treatments for each case.
Using natural substances will help prevent the effects of allergy. It is important that we include them in our diet
To reduce the effects of allergy we can use natural substances. Below we will highlight some of the most important and useful:
- Nettle is one of the plants that can help us. Consumed in infusion will help us to block the histamine produced by the organism to react to pollen. In addition to being very good to regulate the blood circulation of the body.
- Another substance that we are going to emphasize is the petasia. Tincture and petasia extract, which can be found in herbalists, will help eliminate the symptoms of rhinitis, since it has very potent antihistamine components.
- Honey is also a substance that will help us to immunize against pollen, since it contains small particles of this substance. Consuming it throughout the year will help us to expose the organism to small doses of pollen and so little by little accustom it and get to immunize with the passage of time of its effects.
- Performing irrigation with salt water will help eliminate mucus and pollen that accumulates in the respiratory tract. For its preparation we will use half a teaspoon of salt and another half of baking soda in half a cup of warm water. Simply apply a few drops in the nostrils and let them slip so they drag the pollen and mucus that accumulates in this part of the body.
- Green tea will also help us reduce allergy symptoms. Specifically because it contains an antihistamine substance that will help us to control the harmful effects that pollen causes in our body.
- Peppermint is also a substance that we can consume in infusion and that will help us reduce the effects of allergy. Specifically, inhaling the vapors of peppermint essential oil will help to relieve the respiratory tract, as well as consume it in infusion. Mint blocks the histamine that causes pollen, relieving sneezing and nasal discharge.
- Licorice is another substance to consider. It is rich in glycyrrhizin, which is a potent antihistamine that will help reduce mucus and possible skin rashes. Taking an infusion of licorice will be adequate to prevent.
- Turmeric should also be present. Like the previous substances, turmeric blocks the production of histamine by the body. We can use it in foods as a dressing to give it flavor and help us improve against allergy.
- The intake of vitamin C will also help us to strengthen the body’s immune system. In addition, it is a potent antihistamine that will help us to eliminate the effects that pollen causes in the body. Consuming fruits and vegetables such as citrus fruits, rich in this vitamin, will help us achieve a better situation.
- We can use magnesium-rich supplements that will help us to reinforce lung activity and thus improve our breathing against the effect of pollen, as well as help us reduce sneezing caused by pollen. We can obtain this mineral through foods such as almonds, sunflower seeds or dark green leafy vegetables.
It is true that with perseverance and perseverance we can achieve to improve the symptoms of the allergy and in this way reduce its effects. In spite of everything, we must not forget that in case of not disappearing and accentuated it is always necessary to go to a doctor to treat us and can determine the degree of allergy if appropriate treatment is necessary.